[OE-core] RFE: make the init manager an image feature (again)

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Wed Feb 20 19:58:28 UTC 2013

On 18 February 2013 10:17, Enrico Scholz
<enrico.scholz at sigma-chemnitz.de> wrote:
>> But it doesn't need to be as dangerous as binconfig.bbclass, because
>> we already list .service or .socket files in SYSTEMD_SERVICE so we can
>> improve that "find" call
>
> Why is 'find' required at all?  afaik, only files from $SRC_URI are
> affected.  So we can
>
> 1. create an (overridable) SYSTEMD_EXTRA_SERVICES variable
>
> 2. fill this variable in systemd.bbclass with .service, .target, .socket
>    + .mount files from $SRC_URI
>
> 3. modify systemd's do_install so that files above are copied after
>    doing some some sanity checks (e.g. checks that no previous version
>    from 'make install' exists or that it are really systemd files).

As I've said before you'll need to be pre-processing these files
anyway, so either the class gets *even more* logic or you just deal
with it.  Over time more and more upstreams will get systemd support
so we'll be carrying overcomplicated logic for no reason.  We're
really just talking about one conditional and a sed call here.

Ross