[OE-core] RFE: make the init manager an image feature (again)

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at sigma-chemnitz.de
Thu Feb 21 10:34:44 UTC 2013

"Burton, Ross" <ross.burton at intel.com> writes:

>>> But it doesn't need to be as dangerous as binconfig.bbclass, because
>>> we already list .service or .socket files in SYSTEMD_SERVICE so we
>>> can improve that "find" call
>>
>> Why is 'find' required at all?  afaik, only files from $SRC_URI are
>> affected.  So we can
>>
>> 1. create an (overridable) SYSTEMD_EXTRA_SERVICES variable
>>
>> 2. fill this variable in systemd.bbclass with .service, .target, .socket
>>    + .mount files from $SRC_URI
>>
>> 3. modify systemd's do_install so that files above are copied after
>>    doing some some sanity checks (e.g. checks that no previous version
>>    from 'make install' exists or that it are really systemd files).
>
> As I've said before you'll need to be pre-processing these files
> anyway,

oh... this means khem's "meta-systemd: Append ${PN} to SYSTEMD_SERVICE"
patch series is incomplete and all the do_install_append() need to get
yet more complicated....

It is really time, to move the additional-service-file installation back
into the class.

> so either the class gets *even more* logic or you just deal with it.
> Over time more and more upstreams will get systemd support so we'll
> be carrying overcomplicated logic for no reason.  We're really just
> talking about one conditional and a sed call here.

By applying some general rules (e.g. using autoconf like '@bindir@'
templates), this can/should be done by the class and not in every
recipe.

Enrico