[OE-core] Automake 1.13

Marko Lindqvist cazfi74 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 18:30:19 UTC 2013

I did brief test of update automake in oe to new version 1.13 (and now
to 1.13.1). First thing that failed (=prevented build to proceed to
next one) was libtool-native. Error was in execution of "missing"
script, so I guess these points from automake-1.13 NEWS are relevant:

* Automatic remake rules and 'missing' script:

  - The 'missing' script no longer tries to update the timestamp of
    out-of-date files that require a maintainer-specific tool to be
    remade, in case the user lacks such a tool (or has a too-old version
    of it).  It just gives a useful warning, and in some cases also a
    tip about how to obtain such a tool.

  - The missing script has thus become useless as a (poor) way to work
    around the sketched-timestamps issues that can happen for projects
    that keep generated files committed in their VCS repository.  Such
    projects are now encouraged to write a custom "fix-timestamps.sh"
    script to avoid such issues; a simple example is provided in the
    "CVS and generated files" chapter of the automake manual.

 I've not yet investigated this deep enough to tell if (timestamp?)
issue is something to be fixed in automake, oe, or libtool.

 - ML