[OE-core] Automake 1.13

Marko Lindqvist cazfi74 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 18:56:19 UTC 2013

On 1 January 2013 20:30, Marko Lindqvist <cazfi74 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I did brief test of update automake in oe to new version 1.13 (and now
> to 1.13.1). First thing that failed (=prevented build to proceed to
> next one) was libtool-native. Error was in execution of "missing"
> script, so I guess these points from automake-1.13 NEWS are relevant:
>
> * Automatic remake rules and 'missing' script:
>
>   - The 'missing' script no longer tries to update the timestamp of
>     out-of-date files that require a maintainer-specific tool to be
>     remade, in case the user lacks such a tool (or has a too-old version
>     of it).  It just gives a useful warning, and in some cases also a
>     tip about how to obtain such a tool.

 Sorry for sending multiple separate mails - I sent previous when I
had made no progress for a while and assumed I would not have anything
more to say in a while. Then I got sudden revelation: Problem is in
fact recursive dependency. libtool-native depends on help2man-native,
though this dependency is not listed in recipe. Older versions of
automake worked despite that missing dependency; as stated above, it
just updated timestamp when help2man was not available. Now the
missing help2man causes it to abort (automake NEWS claim of *useful*
warning is not correct...) What makes this hard to fix is that
help2man depends on libtool in turn.

 - ML