[OE-core] meta-toolchain build for uclibc, possible issue?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Jan 8 17:37:38 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-01-08 at 16:12 +0100, Giuseppe Condorelli wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> gcc-runtime nativesdk is failing due to the lack of libm.
> I want to build meta-toolchain for uclibc, I mean obtaining the cross
> compiler for these flavour, so libm should be
> provided by the uclibc. But repository doesn't build any uclibc for
> nativesdk, (it builds eglibc by default).
> I'm in trouble to understand this, where is the answer I'm not
> understanding?
>
> Please can you help me?

What are you trying to build *exactly*?

Do you want a toolchain that contains a compiler and uclibc for the
target you're cross compiling for?

or do you want the toolchain itself to use uclibc instead of glibc as
well as whatever the target uses?

The options would be:

a) Uclibc based toolchain, glibc target system
b) Uclibc based toolchain, uclibc target system
c) glibc based toolchain, uclibc target system
d) glibc based toolchain, glibc target system

We only support c/d and only those combinations are known to work.

Its important to differentiate between the C library the cross compiler
links against compared to the C library the ultimate target system uses.