[OE-core] RFC: meta-ro-rootfs approach and volatiles vs tmpfiles.d

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Tue Jul 30 18:26:58 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Chris Larson <clarson at kergoth.com> wrote:

> - Next steps, from my perspective:
>
>     - We need to agree on a pattern to follow for the read only rootfs
> support for individual pieces of recipes, as we need to work through them
> individually. Currently we have two possibilities on the floor, the
> /etc/default/readonly/ approach advocated by Chen Qi, and the overriding
> the volatiles/tmpfiles.d config file approach advocated by myself.
>     - We need a plan of attack to avoid the need to duplicate tmpfiles.d
> and volatiles configuration. I was leaning toward using systemd-tmpfiles
> for both sysvinit and systemd, but others have advocated moving to
> tmpfiles.d configuration but using a homerolled script to implement it.
> Either would be a step in the right direction: moving away from volatiles
> config files in favor of tmpfiles.d config files.
>     - We need a coherent, consistent mechanism for the user to choose
> whether a given file or files will be pregenerated at build time (e.g. ssh
> host keys, machine id) or generated every time at boot, for applicable
> cases.

I forgot to mention, we also need to focus on improving the oe-core systemd
support, and the feature parity between sysvinit and systemd images. Some
are missing systemd support at all still (e.g. dropbear's service files are
still in meta-systemd), and others don't behave the same between the two.
For example, were we to pull over those dropbear service files, the
dropbear sysvinit script would behave differently than the service files,
and dropbear would behave differently than openssh.

I don't know if that's a priority for the Yocto 1.5 release, but it
probably should be.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com