[OE-core] [RFC] U-Boot Recipes

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 13:33:38 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 6:47 AM, Jack Mitchell <ml at communistcode.co.uk> wrote:
> Today I was building an image for the beaglebone with oe-core +
> meta-beagleboard. meta-beagleboard pretty much provides the machine
> definition and the kernel. In order to build the correct u-boot (2013.01+) I
> had to add u-boot 2013.01 to oe-core. Whilst during this I noticed the mess
> that the u-boot directory had become, I think we need to have a show of
> hands who uses what u-boot recipes and can they migrate to newer (common)
> versions.

The mpc8315e-rdb reference uses v2012.04, and a quick survey didn't turn up
any other explicit preferred versions in the layers that I have around my
development machine.

So for now v2012.04 needs to stay, but as we bump that board to the 3.8 kernel,
we can give another bootloader a test run.

> When I submit a patch to get 2013.01 supported, that would make 4 different
> releases of u-boot; which seems a bit excessive.

Most releases that I've ever used have kept compatibility fairly well, so I'm
all for keeping the number of active versions to a minimum. I'd say three is
a good number, since that matches the number of active kernel versions in
oe-core as well.

Cheers,

Bruce

> Thoughts?