[OE-core] update-alternatives and kernel modules

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Tue Mar 12 22:32:23 UTC 2013

I have someone who is trying to use update-alternatives with kernel modules.

They discovered that the rename code changes the name of the module to end in
.ko.${BPN}.  While the package.bbclass code specifically looks for the file name
to end in '.ko' in order to avoid stripping the modules... so of course the
modules get stripped and no longer work properly.

So my question is, is it even reasonable to use update-alternatives with kernel
modules?  If it is, we probably need to change the trigger in packages.bbclass
to look for either .ko or .ko.${BPN} (or something similar).

Any comments/suggestions?
--Mark