[OE-core] update-alternatives and kernel modules

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 13:07:40 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Mark Hatle <mark.hatle at windriver.com> wrote:
> I have someone who is trying to use update-alternatives with kernel modules.
>
> They discovered that the rename code changes the name of the module to end
> in .ko.${BPN}.  While the package.bbclass code specifically looks for the
> file name to end in '.ko' in order to avoid stripping the modules... so of
> course the modules get stripped and no longer work properly.
>
> So my question is, is it even reasonable to use update-alternatives with
> kernel modules?  If it is, we probably need to change the trigger in
> packages.bbclass to look for either .ko or .ko.${BPN} (or something
> similar).
>
> Any comments/suggestions?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what they are trying
to achieve. Can you describe it from a non-packaging point of view ?

i.e. do they have two kernel modules that provide the same sort of
services to the kernel and they want to switch between the two of
them based on the alternatives mechanism ?

Cheers,

Bruce

> --Mark

thee at its end"