[OE-core] update-alternatives automatic rename happens too late

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed Mar 13 15:51:07 UTC 2013

On 3/13/13 8:35 AM, Martin Jansa wrote:
> When using update-alternatives feature to rename targets to
> target.${BPN} it happens in perform_packagecopy, but for recipes where
> that target is also staged to sysroot it's too late, both recipes will
> try to install the same target file to sysroot.
>
> One way to resolve this is to rename target to target.${BPN} directly in
> recipe's do_install, but can we move this automatic renaming to
> do_install? More importantly do we have some examples where we need to
> run u-a for files in sysroot (e.g. when unpacking archive from
> sstate-cache)?

It was specifically NOT done via a do_install(_append) because other things
could have been appending and doing odd behaviors that may or may not be supported.

Also as far as the sysroot went, all of the files that collided were
executables, man pages, etc... (not libraries or headers!)  so they generally
are not used during the compilation process, but I can see with the additional
sysroot checking that this can add problems.

Perhaps the right fix is to add an additional task before the do_package (where
the sysroot is setup) but after the do_install that is specific to the
update-alternatives configuration?  Change from doing it in the ${D} directory
as well...

--Mark