[OE-core] libexecdir and multilib

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Thu May 2 18:07:23 UTC 2013

On 5/2/13 12:24 PM, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> "Burton, Ross" <ross.burton at intel.com> writes:
>
>> rpm allows "executables" (but not libraries) to conflict and will
>> prefer the 64-bit version,
>
> Sure? At least rpm-4 (Fedora, RHEL) does not allow files to conflict.
> Fedora solves the multilib problem by splitting the distribution into
> main packages (unilib only; contain binaries and data) and libraries
> (multilib).  The distribution assemble tool ("mash") copies e.g. i386
> -lib and -devel packages both in i386 and x86_64 repositories.

RPM rule (doesn't matter rpm4 or rpm5), they have the same multilib rules.

If the file color (type) is -not- ELF, then a conflict occurs if the files are
different.

If the file color (type) is ELF, then the policy is used to decide if this is a
conflict, or which version wins.

> libexecdir files in Fedora should be part of unilib (main architecture)
> packages only.

Just because we're using RPM doesn't mean we have to follow Fedora.  There are a
lot of things that Fedora does wrong (and right) IMHO.  Same with Debian and
others.  We need to make sure we do appropriate choices based on the users of
OE-Core.  These users may need specific situations and/or expect certain
configurations that they are used to from Fedora.  So deviating for the sake of
deviating is bad as well... There needs to be a technical reason for it.