[OE-core] proposal to move cogl, clutter and related recipes from oe-core to dedicated meta-clutter layer

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Wed May 15 19:28:13 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 May 2013 14:36:16 Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Richard Purdie
>> <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>> > I'd ask that we give trying to make this work from OE-Core a fair try.
>> >
>> > If in say 3 months from now OE-Core is causing clutter users pain we can
>> > look again at the problem. Equally, if nobody has sent me any clutter
>> > patches in the next three months, I wouldn't consider than a fair try.
>>
>> No, this is not fair. If you wish to keep it you need to do the work
>> or find someone to make it. Tomas is willing to work in meta-clutter
>> and he has the right to work in his solution.
>
> Nobody's suggesting Tomas can't work on meta-clutter. This is an open source
> project, people are pretty much free to contribute as they see fit. For my
> part, I will try to make sure the clutter recipes in OE-Core are better
> maintained in future.
>
> However, I do think it's important for us to try to work together for the
> benefit of everyone, and when it comes to OE-Core and other central pieces of
> the OE ecosystem, that means trying to understand the bigger picture outside
> of the day-to-day requirements that we all have on the projects we work on
> individually.

I agree but it seems it hadn't succeed in this specific case until
now. I personally think Clutter will benefit from getting a specific
place to look at and it does seem multiple people has been adding
Clutter recipes in their internal layers (Phil for example, Guacamayo
project and so on).

People did group in Guacamayo community and got it working in some
platforms, it might have been backported to OE-Core by Yocto team as
it is important for the test coverage but it didn't happen until now.
So far, meta-clutter seems to be the way to go for me.

Mobile: +55 53 9981-7854              http://projetos.ossystems.com.br