[OE-core] Exploring LLVM/Clang for OE

Muhammad Tauqir Ahmad mian.muhammad.tauqir.ahmad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 01:40:23 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am trying to explore the possibility of using LLVM+Clang for
building OE-core images.
The first objective might be to try to build (poky-tiny's)
core-image-minimal? That is the smallest image we know of so maybe
that's a good starting point?

Right now, I am looking at how to build LLVM+Clang cross-compiler
using bitbake and am trying to adapt the llvm3.3 recipe from meta-oe.
As far as I can tell, it doesn't build any tools (doesn't build Clang)
so I am looking at how to modify it to build Clang as well or maybe
just write a new recipe for clang3.3.

The email is meant as an RFC. I would appreciate any pointers and help
I could get with this.
I would also be interested in finding out if and how much work has
been done to try to use LLVM+Clang for OE in the past. If, e.g.,
someone already has the bitbake recipes to get me started and getting
some basic userspace packages to build with LLVM+Clang, it would be
really helpful and avoid duplicate work.
If someone is already working on this, I could work with them.

Any other general or specific comments would also be helpful.

Thanks.