[OE-core] GCC search paths in MinGW SDK

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed Sep 4 01:45:51 UTC 2013

On 9/3/13 4:13 PM, Francois Retief wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks to Richard's recent improvements in the oe-core tree, I finally got my
> first MinGW build to compile through and generate a SDK tarball.
>
> Next issue is that on windows GCC is unable to find the crt1.o, crti.o and
> crtbegin.o files. when compiling a small hello world app (see gist
> <https://gist.github.com/fgretief/6429416#file-mingw-gcc-verbose-output-2013-09-03>
> [1] for gcc verbose output). I verified that the files are indeed in the SDK
> folders and was correctly unpacked.
>
> Next, I checked the search path (-L) options and they point to the respective
> directories where the files reside.
>
> Is it hard coded somewhere GCC should look for these files?  Can anyone give me
> some pointers where to start looking?

Usually GCC can learn the location where it was executed from, and then use a
relative path from that to the location where the libc and other components are
located.

> Cheers,
>    Francois
>
> ps. I have noticed that there is a relocate_sdk.py file in the root of the SDK
> folder. What is it's purpose and can it have anything to do with the GCC search
> paths?

On linux we play with the RPATH and other components to ensure that the
executables can file the libraries for execution.  I don't believe that is a
problem on windows as the DLLs are searched automatically.

--Mark