[OE-core] [RFC] Common code/framework for automatic runtime dependencies

Chris Larson kergoth at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 23:23:36 UTC 2013

Greetings,

I recently found myself wanting to implement a prototype of automatic
python dependencies. In so doing, I realized that there's a certain pattern
followed by each of these (shlibs, pkgconfig, kernel modules, ..), so I'd
like to propose, in the 1.6 timeframe, consolidating this into common core
code to make it easier to implement additional types of automatic rdepends
where appopriate. This would also make it easy to enable a sanity check
across all types to warn/fail if an automatic rdepend was generated for a
recipe which isn't also explicitly included in the depends, to catch
non-deterministic build issues.

Does this concept seem relatively sane? I have a prototype of this in a
layer that I've been playing with. I have so far added two modules for it,
a pkg-config one that I've confirmed is behaving the same as the existing
pkg-config dep handling, and a prototype python one which works for the
most part, but is still a work-in-progress. I'd appreciate any comments on
this. If folks don't think this is a good approach, I'm open to that too,
but it seemed silly to have these things reimplemented or duplicated when
the logic appears to be the same.

See https://github.com/kergoth/meta-package-auto-deps for the prototype.
https://github.com/kergoth/meta-package-auto-deps/blob/master/TODO.md shows
my next steps.