[OE-core] [RFC] Common code/framework for automatic runtime dependencies

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed Sep 18 02:03:19 UTC 2013

On 9/17/13 6:23 PM, Chris Larson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I recently found myself wanting to implement a prototype of automatic python
> dependencies. In so doing, I realized that there's a certain pattern followed by
> each of these (shlibs, pkgconfig, kernel modules, ..), so I'd like to propose,
> in the 1.6 timeframe, consolidating this into common core code to make it easier
> to implement additional types of automatic rdepends where appopriate. This would
> also make it easy to enable a sanity check across all types to warn/fail if an
> automatic rdepend was generated for a recipe which isn't also explicitly
> included in the depends, to catch non-deterministic build issues.

The rpmdeps that is run, as part of the RPM packaging, has a series of these
types of checks already.

We really should try to come up with a single instance of dependency
information, be it SONAME, #!, etc..  For things that can't be represented in
some package types (like specific filenames), a way to set the rules and filter
those would be needed.

> Does this concept seem relatively sane? I have a prototype of this in a layer
> that I've been playing with. I have so far added two modules for it, a
> pkg-config one that I've confirmed is behaving the same as the existing
> pkg-config dep handling, and a prototype python one which works for the most
> part, but is still a work-in-progress. I'd appreciate any comments on this. If
> folks don't think this is a good approach, I'm open to that too, but it seemed
> silly to have these things reimplemented or duplicated when the logic appears to
> be the same.

Yes, I think this is needed.  RPM is covering some of this work already, but
there is much duplicated logic already, and I'd love to get rid of the
duplication, but retain the additional checks RPM gives the user (when rpm
packaging is enabled.)

--Mark