[OE-core] Questions about Orc and GStreamer

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Sep 30 08:26:38 UTC 2013

Hi Carlos,

On Monday 30 September 2013 10:07:37 Carlos Rafael Giani wrote:
> Yes, thats Orc. It is part of meta-oe , but really should be in OE-core.
> I think there was a discussion about this in OE-core months ago, and I
> didn't see an opinion against it.
> Can the GStreamer upgrade be included in the dora branch after release?
> I remember seeing package upgrades in the dylan happening after its
> release. In other words, package upgrades aren't just restricted to the
> master branch, correct?

The answer is we generally don't do upgrades on stable branches unless there
is a very good reason (for example, a security bug where it is more practical
to just upgrade to a new version for the recipe instead of trying to backport
patches to the existing version).

Specifically regarding gstreamer 1.2, I'm not too keen on the idea of upgrading
it in a stable branch - I've been told that there have been backwards-
incompatible changes since 1.0; if that is the case it wouldn't really be
appropriate. FWIW, the option as always is open to add the new version as a
separate layer on top of dylan.

Cheers,
Paul

--