[OE-core] [RFC] kernel: Enable externalsrc on kernels which instantiate kernel.bbclass

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Dec 3 14:36:43 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 03 December 2014 08:14:44 Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 7:23 AM, Laurentiu Palcu
>
> <laurentiu.palcu at intel.com> wrote:
> > Hi Paul,

> >> Bruce, did you get around to doing this?
> >>
> >> At the moment I am trying to make my workflow tool ("devtool modify")
> >> work with linux-yocto. I've at least got to the point where I can
> >> extract the appropriate source from the recipe, but when I use
> >> externalsrc to point to it and then try to build it, it doesn't even get
> >> past do_configure, so something must be missing (make complains about
> >> missing targets, presumably because it's running in ${B} and there's
> >> nothing in that directory).
> >>
> >> Do you expect linux-yocto + externalsrc to work at the moment in master?
> >> If
> >> so, are there any special steps I need to do with respect to preparing
> >> the
> >> external source tree that my tool might not be performing?
> >
> > FWIW, I'm using externalsrc to build non linux-yocto kernels but, to make
> > it work, I had to overwrite the KERNEL_CONFIG_COMMAND:
> >
> > KERNEL_CONFIG_COMMAND = "oe_runmake_call -C ${S} O=${B} oldnoconfig || yes
> > '' | oe_runmake -C ${S} O=${B} oldconfig"
>
> For an externalsrc kernel, we've always skipped configure* completely.
> If the user is providing the kernel, it should also be configured. We don't
> want the build system changing anything at all,  including the config that is
> in place.

OK, that makes sense - but all I'm doing is enabling externalsrc for the
kernel, and do_configure is still being executed. Perhaps that's something that
shouldn't be happening (needs to be added to SRCTREECOVEREDTASKS? We don't
normally cover do_configure for other recipes.)

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton