[OE-core] [RFC] kernel: Enable externalsrc on kernels which instantiate kernel.bbclass

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 13:14:44 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 7:23 AM, Laurentiu Palcu
<laurentiu.palcu at intel.com> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 12:00:31PM +0000, Paul Eggleton wrote:

>> > I'll send out my updated patch shortly, it should fix both cases.
>>
>> Bruce, did you get around to doing this?
>>
>> At the moment I am trying to make my workflow tool ("devtool modify") work with
>> linux-yocto. I've at least got to the point where I can extract the
>> appropriate source from the recipe, but when I use externalsrc to point to it
>> and then try to build it, it doesn't even get past do_configure, so something
>> must be missing (make complains about missing targets, presumably because it's
>> running in ${B} and there's nothing in that directory).
>>
>> Do you expect linux-yocto + externalsrc to work at the moment in master? If
>> so, are there any special steps I need to do with respect to preparing the
>> external source tree that my tool might not be performing?
> FWIW, I'm using externalsrc to build non linux-yocto kernels but, to make it
> work, I had to overwrite the KERNEL_CONFIG_COMMAND:
>
> KERNEL_CONFIG_COMMAND = "oe_runmake_call -C ${S} O=${B} oldnoconfig || yes '' | oe_runmake -C ${S} O=${B} oldconfig"

For an externalsrc kernel, we've always skipped configure* completely.
If the user is
providing the kernel, it should also be configured. We don't want the
build system
changing anything at all,  including the config that is in place.

Bruce

> This might be the reason of your do_configure failure...
>
> I hope it helps,
> laurentiu
>
> --

thee at its end"