[OE-core] opkg, opkg-config-base and opkg-collateral

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Sat Dec 13 12:54:15 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 04:17:08PM +0100, Martin Jansa wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 01:50:38PM +0000, Paul Barker wrote:
> >
> > I'd keep three, but refactor them as I've described above:
> > - opkg: Includes '/etc/opkg/opkg.conf'
> > - opkg-arch-config: Includes '/etc/opkg/arch.conf', machine specific
> > - opkg-feed-config: Includes '/etc/opkg/feeds.conf', distro and
> > possibly machine specific
>
> Please also check
> http://git.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-oe/recipes-core/meta/distro-feed-configs.bb
>
> + filtering the architectures
>
> https://github.com/shr-distribution/meta-smartphone/blob/master/meta-shr-distro/recipes-core/meta/distro-feed-configs.bbappend
>
> + stricter filter for individual MACHINEs based on selected DEFAULTTUNE
>
> https://github.com/shr-distribution/meta-smartphone/blob/master/meta-shr-distro/conf/distro/include/defaulttunes.inc

Thanks for the pointer Martin, I forgot to check outside oe-core. Also, sorry
for the late reply, been rather busy recently!

I suggest we drop poky-feed-config-opkg from oe-core as it isn't really usable
as-is and the Yocto Project manual recommends using distro-feed-config anyway
(http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.7/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#runtime-package-management-build).

I still think the opkg and opkg-collateral recipes should be refactored as I
proposed in my previous email. I'll try to throw together some RFC patches this
week.

We could also consider moving distro-feed-config to oe-core if it is the
recommended way to setup opkg feeds. I do think that a unified way of
configuring ipk/deb/rpm feeds would be good to have in the long term, but we can
at least tidy up the opkg configuration for now.

Thanks,

--
Paul Barker

Email: paul at paulbarker.me.uk