[OE-core] Putting fltk into oe-core (recipes-graphics)

Iorga, Cristian cristian.iorga at intel.com
Tue Feb 4 07:47:17 UTC 2014

Hi Laszlo,

Maybe adding more information will make the case for it.
For example, the fact that is used in a lot of OSS.

A very good demo of the possibilities of FLTK is Giada, "A Hardcore Loop Machine"
http://www.giadamusic.com/

In my opinion, it is one of the best looking apps written using FLTK for the graphical interface.
Also, judging from the screenshots, I think it should be interesting to use it with a touch interface.
However, I don't have any info regarding how well FLTK behaves in this aspect.
Example screenshot: http://www.giadamusic.com/screenshot-09

Also, while Giada looks complex and with a lot of functionality built-in, the source code seems neat and tidy, which might be an argument regarding the fitness of FLTK in the embedded space.
Giada's authors takes pride of the facts that the source code contains around 100 files and has around 30KLoC.

Now, in my opinion, what is a little bit "strange" regarding FLTK is that it doesn't "fit in", because it doesn't have a native look'n'feel on any of the supported platforms.
But that's not really an issue in an embedded device, where FLTK might power up the only GUI needed for that particular device.

Regards,
Cristian Iorga
YP
Intel