[OE-core] Putting fltk into oe-core (recipes-graphics)

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Tue Feb 4 11:46:19 UTC 2014

Hi Cristian,

yes, you are right in my opinion; thank you for your follow up!

The demo is very impressive, and as you say, "native theme and look"
does not matter much on real embedded device, i.e. not generic
computing mobile platforms - that are more powerful than some of the
old, but still existing desktop machines - with its own UX design
guide... Basically, the theme is what you define is, so I do not see
issues in there. :-)

In my experience, you would try hard to avoid X or even wayland on
such devices in favor of framebuffer, etc. The problem, I see, I would
need to grab a somewhat large "oe" layer to make a minimal UI on a
real embedded device. That is not going to happen any soon. I would
rather maintain my own fltk recipe in our layer instead.

As for the touchscreen, yes, I would be actually interested in using
fltk for touch screen devices. In fact, I already have some code, so I
am just looking into the option to get the necessary libraries
deployed by the Yocto project and openembedded-core.

If you ask me, and I can throw my two cents in, qt and gtk are lotta
more heavy and should not have made their way into oe-core IMHO, but
perhaps it is only there for compatibility now.

I mean, I would be fine with any good lightweight libraries on oe-core
for creating minimal touch guis and that kind on minimal embedded
devices, but I currently see no other option than writing your own ui
kit with raw opengl, perhaps using glew from oe-core, etc. Suggestions
would be welcome. I think oe-core could have this responsibility, but
I will leave that with the maintainer...

Cheers, L.