[OE-core] ^{} what is it good for? (bitbake problem)

Olof Johansson olof.johansson at axis.com
Wed Jun 4 08:29:43 UTC 2014

On 14-06-04 10:06 +0200, Steffen Sledz wrote:
> So what is this ^{} which comes from lib/bb/fetch2/git.py good for?
> Or is this a remnant from a typo?

>From git-rev-parse(1):

  <rev>^{}, e.g. v0.99.8^{}
      A suffix ^ followed by an empty brace pair means the object could be a
      tag, and dereference the tag recursively until a non-tag object is
      found.

Without this change, (some?) tag references would end up not
being considered to be on the requested branch by bitbake (by
default, master), as the tag objects themselves are not. The tags
therefore have to be resolved to a reference to a commit.

Given the description in git-rev-parse(1), it surprises me that
it doesn't work for some cases. I think it has to do with the tag
being annotated or not.

--
olofjn