[OE-core] --conf Was: Features in Yocto Project 1.7

Nicolas Dechesne nicolas.dechesne at linaro.org
Wed Mar 26 20:45:07 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Otavio Salvador
<otavio at ossystems.com.br> wrote:
>> As a concrete example, currently I'm flipping between dora and master
>> builds. For some reason I can't seem to reuse the same TMPDIR between
>> them. So every time I "repo init -b <newbranch>" I then also have to
>> edit conf/local.conf before bitbaking.
>
> Use separated build directories for this, so you don't need to mangle
> conf/local.conf every time.
>
> Personally I have different trees for Dora and Master and inside it I
> have several build directories when working in this kind of test
> (different distro features and like) and this is easy to maintain. For
> auto builder, we cooked a script to abstract the configuration in
> command line options so we can easily extend it and get it used in
> several build jobs.

I do that too. build folders are 'cheap' assuming good use of sstate
and rm_work. my typical setup is:
- one workspace for each OE release branch (trees checkout)
- one shared downloads folder for *all* builds across all workspace
- one shared ssate for each workspace . i am not sharing sstate across
OE releases, mostly because sstate-cache-management would always
delete the wrong stuff otherwise.