[OE-core] [oe] Style issue for recipes

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at sigma-chemnitz.de
Thu Sep 4 16:07:38 UTC 2014

"Burton, Ross" <ross.burton at intel.com> writes:

> Quick question of style for the community to bikeshed on: in the
> general case should recipes be split into foo_1.2.bb and foo.inc, or
> should they only split to bb/inc if there are multiple versions and
> generally there should just be foo_1.2.bb.
>
> Specifically I'm looking at the libunwind patch for oe-core (moving
> from meta-oe) which adds libunwind_1.1.bb and libunwind.inc.
> Personally I feel that splitting them up complicates packaging and
> should only be done if there's actually multiple versions being used.

.inc files make sense with current packaging because they are revision
control friendly.  E.g. you can put the logic into .inc and follow its
history with 'git log' which is not possible when there are only the
versioned .bb files.

Of course, the versioned .bb files do not make much sense nowadays.
They were useful in old OE times were multiple versions of a package
were kept in parallel.

Enrico