[OE-core] compiling the host tools natively for the host Linux?

Janne Karhunen janne.karhunen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 17:38:43 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 11:21 PM, Anders Darander <anders at chargestorm.se> wrote:

>> Is there a way to compile the host tools (primarily interested in the
>> compiler) for the host Linux rather than for the own distro?
>
> Could you explain what you're trying to achieve a little bit more?
>
> Which computer do you call host Linux and which one is "own distro"?

Host is the thing build runs on, 'own distro' is the minimal runtime
generated to run the sdk toolset, including the compiler. I really
don't need the latter, for me host runtime would be all I need.

I'm generating bitbake toolchains and images in OBS cluster, they
compile as nice set of RPMs people can install into their environments
via host distro native means. They can also be kept up to date like
that without anyone having to reinstall SDK and/or core images, it
just magically happens.

Now within OBS, bitbake build & sdk install happens within rpm build
root directory. Problem is that relocating the built SDK in
$RPM_BUILD_DIR/$RPM_BUILD_ROOT to its final resting place during
package install (say, to /opt) does not work straight due to the
clever trickery being done with the linker (.interp section) and the
tool/lib RPATHs pointing to the sysroot under $RPM_BUILD_ROOT where
the SDK was installed. I solved this by manually relocating the entire
SDK toolset in RPM '%post' to the new location specified during
package install (rpm --prefix=). This is all fine, but hairy. Would be
far better just to drop the 'own runtime' needed to run the tools and
just compile the toolset for the host.. tools would work straight
without any relocation.

--
Janne