[OE-core] Issue with debian packaging - packagegroup-core-x11

Belal, Awais Awais_Belal at mentor.com
Fri Aug 7 14:08:48 UTC 2015

Hi guys,

I have run into a do_rootfs failure which is only evident when debian packaging is used. The issue roots up due to incompatibility of xserver-nodm-init between oe-core and meta-oe. I see that it has been discussed quite a few times. It also seems that debian packaging (apt-get I believe) is unable to handle the package dependencies accurately in this case. The dependency chain (when both oe-core and meta-oe are used) is as follows:

packagegroup-core-x11-utils ---> x11-common
                                                  \
                                                   \--> xserver-nodm-init --> xserver-common

x11-common does not get installed because xserver-common conflicts and replaces it. But then installation of packagegroup-core-x11-utils fails because it does not see x11-common installed. This failure, as said earlier, is only visible with debian packaging hence I believe it is either a bug in packaging or it simply does not support such a case. I tested this more generically by creating two empty packages 'a' and 'b', where 'b' RCONFLICTS and RREPLACES 'a'. If I add both these packages to my image's RDEPENDS the do_rootfs fails with same error. I am not very familiar with debian packaging hence I cannot comment whether this is a fault from package manager or the recipe (xserver-common) so I though it best to ask here.
Doing an RPROVIDES_${PN} = "x11-common" in xserver-common fixes the issue but fires up:
NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime x11-common (x11-common, xserver-common)
NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match x11-common

Any pointers will be highly appreciated!

BR,
Awais