[OE-core] qemu + initramfs

Christopher Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Mon Aug 24 15:36:19 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 5:05 AM, Patrick Ohly <patrick.ohly at intel.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2015-08-24 at 13:50 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I just tried to boot a custom image under qemu with
> > core-image-minimal-initramfs included in the kernel. For that, I added
> > to my local.conf:
> >
> >         INITRAMFS_IMAGE = "core-image-minimal-initramfs"
> >         INITRAMFS_IMAGE_BUNDLE = "1"
> >
> > The extended kernel now gets built fine with the normal "bitbake
> > <image>".
>
> Speaking of qemu and core-image-minimal-initramfs, that initramfs isn't
> really suitable as it stands. It uses init-live-boot, which expects to
> boot from removable media instead of the fixed disk provided by qemu.
>
> Is there anything more suitable or do I have to roll my own init script
> entirely, perhaps based on initramfs-framework?

Just a note, in meta-mentor we removed initramfs-live-install and
initramfs-live-install-efi from core-image-minimal-initramfs and split that
off into core-image-minimal-install-initramfs, and set INITRD_IMAGE =
"core-image-minimal-install-initramfs" (that's what image-live.bbclass
obeys). Not sure if that's ideal, and admittedly haven't done much testing
with those images, but I think it makes more sense, name wise, for
core-image-minimal-initramfs to be a general image, not something which
handles installation.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com