[OE-core] Patchwork & patch handling improvements

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 08:17:13 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 04:01:40PM +1300, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 11:47:20 Martin Jansa wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 07:49:50AM +1300, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> > > Hi Trevor,

> > > I don't think there's that much of a division. I don't recall if it was
> > > you
> > > that raised it at the time but the issue of having two style guides did
> > > get
> > > rectified - I changed the one on the Yocto Project wiki to simply be a
> > > link to the OE style guide in June last year. It certainly didn't come
> > > about through a conscious decision to have a different style.
> > >
> > > However there is a minor disagreement over indentation for shell functions
> > > between OE-Core and other layers - this persists because of the
> > > backporting
> > > pain a blanket replacement would potentially lead to. As I recall this did
> > > get discussed at the OE TSC level. I think that's one thing we could just
> > > not evaluate (or make an option) until such time as we resolve the
> > > difference - and I do mean to see it resolved at some point in the
> > > future.
> >
> > Using consistent indentation (4 spaces) at least for new metadata would
> > be step in right direction.
> >
> > With the amount of changes which are backported to older releases I
> > still don't see this "backporting pain" argument. Doing it just before
> > the release is of course useful, because e.g. now more changes will be
> > backported to Jethro than to Fido or Dizzy. So having consistent
> > indentation in Jethro and master would prevent 95% of "backporting
> > pain". Maybe some Yocto 10.0 will finally get the meaning of
> > "consistent" indentation.
>
> I agree it's not ideal. I said above, I do want to see it resolved.
>
> Leaving indentation aside for a moment do you have any comments on my
> proposal?

I'm not familiar with FDO fork, so I don't know how it looks and
behaves, but any improvement on patchwork side is definitely welcome and
I appreciate it.

Does it support e.g. moving the patches to given bundle based on some
substring in subject? To sort e.g. meta-networking, meta-java,
meta-browser, .. patches automatically?

I don't expect FDO fork to provide other features I'm used to from
gerrit like cherry-picking to selected branch from the UI or doing the
review there. But still if we're stuck with patchwork forever (because
some people hate gerrit), then any improvement is really appreciated,
thanks for looking into it.

My only concern is about migrating current database, do you know if the
migration will keep the database including bundles as they are or do you
plan to set FDO version in parallel at least for some transition period?
Currently I have many patches in flight, because jenkins is running full
test-dependencies job for last 11 and based on progress it will take
14-21 more days to finish.

Regards,

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com