[OE-core] Patchwork & patch handling improvements

Barros Pena, Belen belen.barros.pena at intel.com
Wed Dec 2 10:54:48 UTC 2015

On 02/12/2015 08:17, "openembedded-core-bounces at lists.openembedded.org on
behalf of Martin Jansa" <openembedded-core-bounces at lists.openembedded.org
on behalf of martin.jansa at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 04:01:40PM +1300, Paul Eggleton wrote:

>>it can
>>over time
>>use the

>>the right

>>"checkpatch.pl" to
>>trying to
>>that
>>in
>>and
>>slightly

>>there's
>>tries
>>enforces
>>job to
>>question
>>maybe The

>>was
>>did
>>be a
>>come

>>functions
>>this did
>>could just
>> >
>> > Using consistent indentation (4 spaces) at least for new metadata
>>would
>> > be step in right direction.
>> >
>> > With the amount of changes which are backported to older releases I
>> > still don't see this "backporting pain" argument. Doing it just before
>> > the release is of course useful, because e.g. now more changes will be
>> > backported to Jethro than to Fido or Dizzy. So having consistent
>> > indentation in Jethro and master would prevent 95% of "backporting
>> > pain". Maybe some Yocto 10.0 will finally get the meaning of
>> > "consistent" indentation.
>>
>> I agree it's not ideal. I said above, I do want to see it resolved.
>>
>> Leaving indentation aside for a moment do you have any comments on my
>> proposal?
>
>I'm not familiar with FDO fork, so I don't know how it looks and
>behaves,

This is how it looks like currently

http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/project/intel-gfx/patches/

> but any improvement on patchwork side is definitely welcome and
>I appreciate it.
>
>Does it support e.g. moving the patches to given bundle based on some
>substring in subject? To sort e.g. meta-networking, meta-java,
>meta-browser, .. patches automatically?

Mmm, you might not like this, but we are thinking of getting rid of
bundles. Basically, we assumed bundles were a manual way of creating patch
series. The new Patchwork can identify series, so we thought: great!
Bundles no longer needed.

There are other features been considered that might be an alternative to
bundles, like tagging