[OE-core] Patchwork & patch handling improvements

Barros Pena, Belen belen.barros.pena at intel.com
Wed Dec 2 10:59:17 UTC 2015

On 02/12/2015 10:54, "openembedded-core-bounces at lists.openembedded.org on
behalf of Barros Pena, Belen"
belen.barros.pena at intel.com> wrote:

>On 02/12/2015 08:17, "openembedded-core-bounces at lists.openembedded.org on
>behalf of Martin Jansa" <openembedded-core-bounces at lists.openembedded.org
>on behalf of martin.jansa at gmail.com> wrote:

>>>it can
>>>over time
>>>use the

>>>the right

>>>"checkpatch.pl" to
>>>trying to
>>>that
>>>in
>>>and
>>>slightly

>>>there's
>>>tries
>>>enforces
>>>job to
>>>question
>>>maybe The

>>>was
>>>did
>>>be a
>>>come

>>>functions
>>>this did
>>>could just

>>>would

>>>before
>>>be
>>>
>>> I agree it's not ideal. I said above, I do want to see it resolved.
>>>
>>> Leaving indentation aside for a moment do you have any comments on my
>>> proposal?
>>
>>I'm not familiar with FDO fork, so I don't know how it looks and
>>behaves,
>
>This is how it looks like currently
>
>http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/project/intel-gfx/patches/
>
>> but any improvement on patchwork side is definitely welcome and
>>I appreciate it.
>>
>>Does it support e.g. moving the patches to given bundle based on some
>>substring in subject? To sort e.g. meta-networking, meta-java,
>>meta-browser, .. patches automatically?
>
>Mmm, you might not like this, but we are thinking of getting rid of
>bundles. Basically, we assumed bundles were a manual way of creating patch
>series. The new Patchwork can identify series, so we thought: great!
>Bundles no longer needed.
>
>There are other features been considered that might be an alternative to
>bundles, like tagging

sorry: pressed 'send' too soon :/ As I was saying, tagging

https://github.com/dlespiau/patchwork/issues/36

Or supporting several projects within the same mailing list (in your case,
one per layer)

https://github.com/dlespiau/patchwork/issues/77

>>I don't expect FDO fork to provide other features I'm used to from
>>gerrit like cherry-picking to selected branch from the UI or doing the
>>review there. But still if we're stuck with patchwork forever (because
>>some people hate gerrit), then any improvement is really appreciated,
>>thanks for looking into it.
>>
>>My only concern is about migrating current database, do you know if the
>>migration will keep the database

I don't know, but I can find out.

>>including bundles

If we remove the bundles, then I guess the migration might not keep the
bundles.

Belén