[OE-core] python3 dbus

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Wed Dec 2 15:39:38 UTC 2015

On 12/02/2015 05:26 PM, Chris Trobridge wrote:

> I have a dbus-based service written in python3 that I want run on a
> Yocto system.
>
> I can run python3 and have patched a few python module recipes to
> python3 but the big outstanding issue is dbus, and gi.repository.GObject
> in particular.
>
> I can see various discussions about keeping this up to date on python2
> (meta-gir).
>
> I would like some advice on whether I would be better off back-porting
> the python3 service to 2.7 (which would be disappointing but not a major
> undertaking) or whether it would be reasonable to modify the existing
> python 2.7 dbus/gobject  recipes to python3.
>
> I am tending to back-porting to 2.7 but I am not 100% confident that
> dbus/gobject works with either version of python in Yocto?

Work to integrate gobject introspection directly to oe-core is ongoing
and we aim to have it in 2.1 release. You can find the current patches here:

https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=akanavin/gobject-introspection-experimental

The introduction is here:
http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2015-November/113390.html

Do give it a try.