[OE-core] [RFC] Remove vala from oe-core

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Nov 10 14:50:06 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 10 November 2015 16:30:05 Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> On 11/10/2015 04:22 PM, Jussi Kukkonen wrote:
> > There's currently no software built with vala in oe-core. That's not
> > great for vala (as it's not getting the automated testing that high
> > quality maintenance would require) and it's not great for oe-core (as
> > maintenance effort is better spent on components that _are_ used).
> >
> > Based on the above there's a feature request** to remove vala from
> > oe-core. Please comment here or on the bug if you think this is an
> > inappropriate idea or have suggestions.
>
> I have to say no. A lot of things in oe-core (libsoup for instance) come
> with an option to build vala bindings which in turn require native
> vapigen binary provided by vala package.

When considering whether something belongs in OE-Core, typically we apply the
following criteria (not that this is really formalised, but based on our
history):

1) Is it something that a reasonable majority of people need in an embedded
context?

2) If the answer to #1 is no, is it something that helps us test something
else that is in OE-Core?

3) Does it have a reasonably minimal set of dependencies that are also
required to be in OE-Core?

Cheers,
Paul

--