[OE-core] How to handle mesa customization in BSP layers

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Tue Oct 20 09:37:35 UTC 2015

> Op 20 okt. 2015, om 11:32 heeft Nicolas Dechesne <nicolas.dechesne at linaro.org> het volgende geschreven:
>
> hi there,
>
> in the meta-qcom BSP layer, I need to customize mesa to enable
> Gallium/freedreno driver which is not enabled in OE-core by default. I
> have been using a bbappend , see [1] so far.
>
> However it was reported by Koen that his is causing issues, at least
> in Angstrom, though it's not specific to this distro.. See github
> comments on [2].
>
> The issue is that mesa is arch specific, not machine specific. So if
> you start mixing machines from the same arch, we are getting
> unexpected/wrong rebuilds.
>
> How am I supposed to handle that properly in a BSP layer? I don't
> think that enabling the freedreno driver should be a distro config, am
> i right?

I agree that making it a DISTRO thing is not the right answer, but it is exactly what I ended up doing: https://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/meta-angstrom/commit/549d58dd00cd0683d92b942e9574ef0d1e347e51

In this specific case I think we should enable freedreno for armv7/armv8 in OE-core, but the problem remains for other recipes like this.

regards,

Koen