[OE-core] 32 bit time_t in openembedded

Umut Tezduyar Lindskog umut.tezduyar at axis.com
Tue Sep 8 11:44:31 UTC 2015

Hi,

Can 32 bits ISA handle year 2038 problem in openembedded?

Our ISA is 32 bits and we are using relatively new kernel with relatively old glibc (2.15). We are using RTC chips which come with a random date/time initialized. We started seeing boot problems in systemd if the random value of RTC is newer than 2038.

Upstream systemd’s answer is pretty much using 64 bits time_t structure but this is relatively expensive on 32 bits ISA.

I am wondering what the bit length of time_t structure in openembedded for 32 bits ISAs.

In other words, can your product handle following:

$> date '2038-01-19 03:14’ && hwclock -w (#Wait 7 seconds to see if systemd gets stuck)

NOTE: Don’t forget to revert your date back. Otherwise, your product won’t boot with systemd.

Umut