[OE-core] 32 bit time_t in openembedded

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Tue Sep 8 12:04:50 UTC 2015

On 8 September 2015 at 12:44, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog <umut.tezduyar at axis.com
> wrote:

> Upstream systemd’s answer is pretty much using 64 bits time_t structure
> but this is relatively expensive on 32 bits ISA.

What problem are you trying to solve here - the general problem of "I want
my hardware to work after 2038" or "my RTC is stupid"?  For the former
you'll potentially be writing a new ABI to introduce a 64-bit time_t (then
updating the kernel, libc, toolchain...), for the latter can't you have
some kernel code that clamps the random times on initialisation to be <2038?

Ross