[OE-core] Patch merge process

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 21:06:42 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 08, 2015 at 11:39:17AM -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If Richard doesn't want to use gerrit for OE-core, that doesn't exclude
> > others from using it for the layers they manage, does it?
>
> yes, however, we should prefer this to run on oe domain, its better
> for project and then if most of layers use it its fine too, it could
> end up
> with same situation as patchwork where oe-core and bitbake do not use
> it actively. other layers do. its not ideal situation but its ok as
> long as
> its makes people productive, we could be open for options its matter
> of volunteers then maintaining the infra for these services.

I agree, there are not technical reasons for not using it for other
layers, but once we ask contributors to create account on gerrit and
submit all patches through gerrit for *some* layers, then these people
will ask why oe-core and bitbake submissions are different.

I should also say that I really like gerrit work-flow and review, but if
people continue to send patches to e-mail and someone else will need to
add Change-Ids to them and consolidate them into review-chains, than
it's not as great as it could be if all related people "buy-it" and use
it exclusively.

Regards,

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com