[OE-core] About pseudo's chmod

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Aug 1 20:01:14 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-08-01 at 13:17 -0500, Seebs wrote:
> On 1 Aug 2016, at 3:57, Robert Yang wrote:
>
> > How about we track the src when hardlink, for example:
>
> I don't think I like this.
>
> Fundamentally, the problem here is making a hard link to a file
> outside
> of pseudo, and then modifying the file.
>
> Consider, if you will, what happens if you replace "chmod 0777 file2"
> with:
> 	# echo "# last line" >> file2
>
> The problem here isn't pseudo's tracking; it's that we're making a
> hard
> link to a file, modifying the hard link, deleting the hard link, and
> expecting the original file to have the same attributes it had before
> this all happened.

No, we're actually expecting it to retain the mode it was given via the
hardlink under pseudo.

This is what a real world system would do and in this case we could
track it via pseudo since pseudo is loaded when the hardlink is
created. It would be unreasonable for pseudo to track all hardlinks but
tracking ones created under it does seem reasonable?