[OE-core] how can i add u-boot-fw-utils to my build without u-boot being part of the build?

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Fri Aug 19 20:16:37 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 12:41:25PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   not sure if i asked this once, but i'm still trying to figure it
> out.
>
>   i want to add the u-boot-fw-utils recipe to my current build, but
> u-boot is *not* part of the relevant BSP layer -- u-boot is being
> configured and built elsewhere, and that's not changing for the
> foreseeable future.
>
>   the good news is that those utilities don't need to have any info on
> the default environment for u-boot -- they need only have access to
> the environment in flash, and there is a /etc/fw_env.config file that
> is all set up and ready to go and referring to the correct device and
> offset in flash.
>
>   so how do i specify that i want to add that recipe to my build,
> while saying, "don't worry about the default environment, you don't
> need it." can that be done? thanks.

The "easy" way out here is to just set a valid (as in, compiles)
UBOOT_MACHINE and then not worry about installing U-Boot from the OE
build.  You can ASSUME_PROVIDED away u-boot itself, but you still need
to have a UBOOT_MACHINE set so that we configure U-Boot before building
the tools (And you  must configure before building).

--
Tom