[OE-core] Cannot build any external kernel modules in krogoth

Ian Geiser geiseri at geekcentral.pub
Wed Aug 31 18:38:21 UTC 2016

 ---- On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 10:13:52 -0400 Ian Geiser <geiseri at geekcentral.pub> wrote ----
 > Greetings,  I have an issue where I cannot seem to build any external kernel module recipes.  The one in particular is iscsitarget, but it seems none of them build now.
 >
 > It seems that what is happening is that the "work-shared/*/kernel-build-artifacts" is getting erased right before the module recipe tries to use them.  Has anyone seen this before?
 >
 > As a key point, I am also using my own kernel recipe that only uses the kernel.bbclass, not the kernel-yocto.bbclass.  Is there magic I am missing that will not allow me to build modules unless I am using the yocto kernels?

Looking at this further it looks like this is a normal issue with all kernels.  There is a race condition that will cause the kernel to rebuild everytime you build a module.  During this process the build artifacts are always cleared out and sometimes it wont actually populate the shared workdir.  I tested with most kernels and found all modules suffer this issue.  Am I the only one seeing this?