[OE-core] Default value for FULL_OPTIMIZATION

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Thu Feb 4 12:56:43 UTC 2016

On 03-02-16 21:59, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Phil Blundell <pb at pbcl.net> wrote:

>>> it does not create files for intermediate objects so if you have slow
>>> media it can be significant
>>> but if you have SSDs then it might be diminished.
>>
>> The files go in /tmp though, right?  Even if that isn't a tmpfs, which I
>> think it is on almost all systems nowadays, they will almost certainly
>> just sit in the buffer cache and never actually get written to the
>> disk.
>
> in systems of  this age it should be yet.

In the lab, yes.

In the real world, the system may be under load. On desktop computers, /tmp/
is usually NOT on tmpfs.

At some point, in order to "write" to your filesystem, it will need to read it
first (e.g. to get a free allocation spot). In that cause, the read request
will have to get in line behind the other IO requests in the queue, and it
suddenly might take seconds to perform that simple request. Even on SSD, this
will happen and give a noticable drop in performance.

You might want to run that test while reading your disk (dd if=/dev/sda
of=/dev/null) and see what happens.

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Embedded Products
Eindhovenseweg 32-C, NL-5683 KH Best
Postbus 440, NL-5680 AK Best
Telefoon: +31 (0) 499 33 69 79
E-mail: mike.looijmans at topicproducts.com
Website: www.topicproducts.com

Visit us at: Embedded World 2016 Germany, Hall 1, stand number 220.
Click here to schedule an appointment with us at Embedded World, free ticket included

http://topicembeddedproducts.com/schedule-an-appointment/