[OE-core] noticeably longer build (link?) times with binutils 2.26

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 23:20:19 UTC 2016

This is more of a "FYI", but I've noticed that the build time of my
chromium recipe has gone from ~45 minutes to ~2h15m when the only thing
that changes is to move openembedded-core from the commit just before
upgrading binutils to version 2.26 ([fd75637] native.bbclass: Set
CXXFLAGS from BUILD_CXXFLAGS not BUILD_CFLAGS) to the one immediately
after ([86ade2c] binutils: Upgrade to 2.26).

Oddly enough I don't see this same behaviour when building, for example,
core-image-minimal, so I have no idea what makes chromium so special
and, therefore, whether other recipes might be similarly affected.

Also, it seems as though a lot of the added time is coming from the
linking stage, but I don't have (or know how to get) hard numbers for
that. Is there a way to get build times for each task within one recipe?

I've repeated this test 6 times (build just before binutils-2.26, build
just after binutils-2.26) and the results are always within a couple
minutes of each other. So I doubt this is some random occurrence.