[OE-core] invoking a native compiler (gcc)

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 18:01:17 UTC 2016

On 01/07/16 11:37, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-01-07 at 15:46 +0000, Burton, Ross wrote:
>> On 7 January 2016 at 15:40, Trevor Woerner <twoerner at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I was surprised to find that BUILD_CC is being set to whatever
>>> comes up
>>> first in our build computer's PATH. But I guess the alternative
>>> would be
>>> to make our builds longer by compiling our own native compiler for
>>> such
>>> cases.
>>>
>> You could always set BUILD_CC to explicitly point to the right
>> compiler on your machine.  When I was trying to make OE work on
>> Darwin I had to set BUILD_CC to point at brew's gcc binaries.
> Or you setup PATH to include things in the right order as we do with
> other native tools...

I was surprised to learn that a compiler from the host machine was
potentially being used as part of a build, not which one is found and
being used. When I discovered this I was quite sure I had configured
something incorrectly. This is more of an academic exercise, I didn't
run into any problems.

I guess we're covered in the sense that each release specifies which
distros are supported. So as long as any native tools that are used in
each of the support distros are able to produce a successful build
everything should be fine. BUILD_CC is almost like an implicit
ASSUME_PROVIDED.