[OE-core] invoking a native compiler (gcc)

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 00:35:58 UTC 2016

> On Jan 7, 2016, at 10:01 AM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 01/07/16 11:37, Richard Purdie wrote:
>> On Thu, 2016-01-07 at 15:46 +0000, Burton, Ross wrote:
>>>>
>>> You could always set BUILD_CC to explicitly point to the right
>>> compiler on your machine.  When I was trying to make OE work on
>>> Darwin I had to set BUILD_CC to point at brew's gcc binaries.
>> Or you setup PATH to include things in the right order as we do with
>> other native tools...
>
> I was surprised to learn that a compiler from the host machine was
> potentially being used as part of a build, not which one is found and
> being used. When I discovered this I was quite sure I had configured
> something incorrectly. This is more of an academic exercise, I didn't
> run into any problems.
>
> I guess we're covered in the sense that each release specifies which
> distros are supported. So as long as any native tools that are used in
> each of the support distros are able to produce a successful build
> everything should be fine. BUILD_CC is almost like an implicit
> ASSUME_PROVIDED.

It doesnt end at compiler.
We are cross compiling. so yes we do bootstrap using tools from build host.
you can go down the lane and start insulating from hosts by building native packages
for everything but it does not buy us much. We basically then end up building a build host distro ‘sort of’
before anything is built for target. We already are building too many things then
I would think we should. It also has a maintenance cost to build e..g OE packages to run on ubuntu
its an untested combination where as running ubuntu package on ubuntu is a tested combo