[OE-core] some dev pkg bring extra target packages when installed in rootfs

Ahsan, Noor Noor_Ahsan at mentor.com
Mon Jan 11 12:57:10 UTC 2016

Hello,

I noticed one thing that when we add dev-pkg in IMAGE_FEATURE variable it not only install the dev package of corresponding target packages present in rootfs rather it also brings in extra target packages. I investigated it and I found that the reason of inclusion of extra target packages I rootfs is due to dependency of a dev package on dev package of packages present in DEPENDS. In order to make it clear let's take example of readline recipe. It is dependent on ncurses. If we analyze ipk file of readline-dev package we will see that it ipk is Recommending ncurses-dev package

Recommends: libc6-dev, libgcc-s-dev, ncurses-libtinfo-dev, ncurses-dev

So when readline-dev will be installed in rootfs it will also install ncurses-dev. Now analyze ncurses-dev ipk, it will show that it is dependent on ncurses main package

Depends: libtinfo5, ncurses (= 5.9-r15.1.6), libpanelw5, libform5, libtic5, libmenuw5, libformw5, libpanel5, libmenu5, libticw5

So ncurses main package is installed indirectly if we install readline-dev.

I thought that we should discuss this in community so that we can comeup with common decision.

Noor