[OE-core] Building for armv7athf-neon but toolchain is softfp

thilo.cestonaro at ts.fujitsu.com thilo.cestonaro at ts.fujitsu.com
Fri Jul 22 13:39:35 UTC 2016

Hey all!

Hopefully this is no dumb question but I can't find any solution currently.

I want to build my own dist and a sdk for it. The dist is working and is as expected by the DEFAULT_TUNE of "armv7athf-neon", hardfp.

But the TARGET_SYS in the bitbake header always tells me, that the toolchain it uses is "...-gnueabi". Not "hf" in there?!
Thats the first thing what I can't figure out.

The other thing is, when I now use the sdk, after successfully populating it, the toolchain in there has the default -mfloat-abi=softfp ...
But even when I compile with -mfloat-abi=hard, the executable which I get, segfaults on the target and ldd tells me "not a dynamic executable".
But readelf (on the target or host) tells me, that "Tag_ABI_VFP_args: VFP registers" (which is detection for hardfp, right?).
And I miss the "hf" at the gnueabi in the sdk toolchain.

my program was the following and it compiled without any warnings or errors:
----------
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
	cout << "Hello World!" << endl;
	return 0;
}

I also tried Default tune to set to "cortexa8thf-neon" which had the same result.

Any hints why the toolchain is softfp by default?

Regards,
Thilo

PS: When I use the ubuntu arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++ with the sdk sysroot, the helloworld program works as expected.