[OE-core] Building for armv7athf-neon but toolchain is softfp

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 14:10:57 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 6:39 AM, thilo.cestonaro at ts.fujitsu.com
<thilo.cestonaro at ts.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> Hey all!
>
> Hopefully this is no dumb question but I can't find any solution currently.
>
> I want to build my own dist and a sdk for it. The dist is working and is as expected by the DEFAULT_TUNE of "armv7athf-neon", hardfp.
>
> But the TARGET_SYS in the bitbake header always tells me, that the toolchain it uses is "...-gnueabi". Not "hf" in there?!
> Thats the first thing what I can't figure out.

We do not rely on target triplet. calling convention is determined by
-mfloat-abi switch that is what OE relies on.

> The other thing is, when I now use the sdk, after successfully populating it, the toolchain in there has the default -mfloat-abi=softfp ...
> But even when I compile with -mfloat-abi=hard, the executable which I get, segfaults on the target and ldd tells me "not a dynamic executable".
> But readelf (on the target or host) tells me, that "Tag_ABI_VFP_args: VFP registers" (which is detection for hardfp, right?).
> And I miss the "hf" at the gnueabi in the sdk toolchain.

Is target running the image build by you as well ? and prefereably
build in same sandbox as the SDK
if not then you need to figure out how the image was built.  what is
output of ls /lib/ld-*