[OE-core] want to verify proper use of run-postinsts, if i may

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Jul 29 11:48:33 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-07-29 at 07:43 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2016, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> ... snip ...
>
> > am i missing anything?  i'm assuming i'd use a .bbappend recipe to
> > add the script names to SRC_URI, then define "do_install_append()"
> > to manually copy them over, or is there a proper way to do that i'm
> > not seeing?
>
>   never mind, just found an example that confirmed just what i
> suspected:
>
> https://github.com/meta-debian/meta-debian/blob/daisy/recipes-debian/
> run-postinsts/run-postinsts_1.0.bbappend

Personally, I wouldn't take meta-debian as a good example of anything,
that layer is doing some things which I'd find questionable. Obviously
they are free to do so though.

Most of the time the package manager sets up things to run under run
-postinsts as needed. Yes, you can do this automatically, but why not
just write a postinstall for your package and defer it to first boot if
that is what you need?