[OE-core] want to verify proper use of run-postinsts, if i may

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jul 29 11:54:37 UTC 2016

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016, Richard Purdie wrote:

> On Fri, 2016-07-29 at 07:43 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Jul 2016, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > ... snip ...
> >
> > > am i missing anything?  i'm assuming i'd use a .bbappend recipe to
> > > add the script names to SRC_URI, then define "do_install_append()"
> > > to manually copy them over, or is there a proper way to do that i'm
> > > not seeing?
> >
> >   never mind, just found an example that confirmed just what i
> > suspected:
> >
> > https://github.com/meta-debian/meta-debian/blob/daisy/recipes-debian/
> > run-postinsts/run-postinsts_1.0.bbappend
>
> Personally, I wouldn't take meta-debian as a good example of
> anything, that layer is doing some things which I'd find
> questionable. Obviously they are free to do so though.
>
> Most of the time the package manager sets up things to run under run
> -postinsts as needed. Yes, you can do this automatically, but why
> not just write a postinstall for your package and defer it to first
> boot if that is what you need?

  it's not just package post stuff here, i'm looking at run-postinsts
to do a *lot* of subsequent setup of the target system -- effectively
downloading and installing the entire proprietary application.

  yes, i realize i could just make that app part of the initial image,
but there are reasons for this. so i'm assuming just manually
installing and running some scripts via run-postinsts is the way to
go.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca