[OE-core] the fate of Vala in OE

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Thu Jun 9 10:28:11 UTC 2016

Hello,

I'd like to propose the removal of Vala recipe and support for
generating Vala bindings from oe-core. The only software that is written
in Vala and makes sense in embedded environment is Rygel (an
implementation of various UPnP AV services), and even that can be
compiled from intermediate C sources without a need for Vala compiler or
bindings. The only benefit from compiling from Vala source would be that
Rygel could be more easily patched - and I think that doesn't really
justify maintaining the full Vala stack.

Thoughts?

Alex